Have you ever reached the point in your life where you just couldn’t handle it anymore and you fell apart?

I’m willing to bet you have…because we’ve all been there at some point!

And today we’re gonna get some real talk from AskReddit users about when this happened to them.

Take a look.


“My wife’s d**th.

We both knew her cancer was terminal from the beginning, and I had seven years to make my peace with that. As the end neared, I assured everyone I’d be fine.

Despite all that, seeing her stop breathing was a total shock to me. And I even knew she’d d** that very night. When you’ve been with d**ng people, you can tell when it’s their last day.

It’s been six years, and I’m still grieving her.”


“Hearing my mom ask if it was going to hurt to d**.

A few mins later she took her last breath. Squeezed my hand and a slow release.

Am I okay? Nah. A year and a half later I’m still not.”

That’s tough.

“Having a mother with schizophrenia.

Such a tough illness for someone to experience, and tough on a family.”


“I could honestly give a lot of things that have f**ked me up, but I’ve bounced back from most of them. The one thing that broke me entirely last year was the d**th of my grandfather.

He’d had a stroke around April 2021. April 1st, 2022 he had to be rushed to the hospital. I dropped everything to go see him. I’d been pretty close with him growing up. My grandparents raised me and my sister and he and I used to go to Gettysburg together a lot.

He was in the hospital all of April, with declining health. We would visit all the time. He developed sepsis, and we wanted to move him to hospice, but by the end of the month even moving him would probably k**l him.

April 28th, it was my first week at a new job and my aunt texted that we should all hurry over to the hospital because they didn’t think there was much time. I left work and stayed at the hospital with my family all day.

The nurses let us break Covid protocol and all stay in the room as long as we were quiet. We all had gowns, masks, and gloves anyway because he had sepsis. At that point, he was practically in a coma.

We thought he would pass that day but he didn’t, and when it came time for me to leave I knew it would be the last time I’d see him alive. I sobbed so much I almost threw up and it was almost impossible to drag me out.

The next day, he was gone. The following week was the funeral and viewing. The viewing broke me too. I cried so much those days, especially when we had to close the casket for the funeral. We all left little things for him to be buried with.

Cherry chapstick, Guinness, and a little alligator plush I’d brought. I have the matching one. He always used to say, “See you later, alligator” and I would say, “After a while crocodile.” So now I always tell him “See you later, alligator” at his grave, as that’s what I told him before he d**d, and before they buried him.

April 29th this year will mark the first full year he’s been gone. I’ve never handled death well, so it still hurts a lot. But he was in so much pain, and I know he went peacefully and he’s not suffering anymore. He believed in Heaven, and that’s where I hope he is.”

Role reversal.

“Filing my dad’s bankruptcy, getting him diagnosed for Alzheimer’s, and being his primary caregiver.

It totally  reverses the father/son role in a way I was not prepared for.

Better now, but still is heartbreaking.”

Family tragedy.

“My little cousin (19) hung himself in October.

That feeling of holding his cold body as I cut him down from his noose will forever haunt me.

I dream of it often.”

The next day…

“My fiancée d**d the day after we got engaged.

She d**d of meningitis. We spent an awesome day together while she was back in town from college and I asked her that afternoon. Later, she said her legs were going numb and her back hurt. We went to the hospital because they had just had a whole presentation about the symptoms of meningitis at her school.

The doctor did some tests and said everything was negative l, so they sent us home. We went to bed thinking everything would be fine. I woke up sometime around 2 am and looked at her. She was covered in sweat and turning blue so I picked her up and carried her to the car.

We hauled ass back to the ER but she stopped breathing before we got there and didn’t regain consciousness again. At least I was holding her hand the whole way. The doctor did say they got her heart started a couple times, but all of her organs failed and her body completely shut down so they had to call it.

Later, they asked if I wanted the ring. But they said they had to cut it off because her body had swollen so much. I told them to keep it because I wouldn’t have been able to handle what it meant if it was in one piece.

To answer the other obvious question. I’m as alright as I get. Lately I’ve been thinking about our first days more than the last one. It’s hard to tell if that makes it better or worse though. Relationships are hard. Anytime things get too good, there’s a compulsion to pull away for self-preservation. There’s no making it through of another round of that.”

Still think about it.

“A good friend of mine d**d in a car accident the day after her boyfriend proposed.

It was brutal for all of us, but especially him.

She d**d 25 years ago and I still think about her from time to time.”


“I was in therapy and was nervous about my child’s upcoming birthday party because of serious anxiety issues. She told me to imagine the worst thing happening and when the party is over I would realize everything was ok.

Day of birthday party I received an out of state call from a coroner. My mom was found d**d in her apartment. An investigation occurred but it was determined she had a diabetic episode, hit her head on the kitchen counter, bled out and d**d. An hour later my friend arrived, hysterically crying indicating she just got a call HER mom d**d.

I was numb and broken. Life has never been the same since.”

A nightmare.

“When the police told me my fiancée had been k**led by a d**nk driver immediately outside of our neighborhood.

It didn’t help that the police lost the driver in the hospital, letting him escape for about 30 hours.”

What broke you mentally or emotionally?

Let us know what you think in the comments.

We can’t wait to hear from you!