If you’re not someone who regularly takes advantage of libraries, you might not realize how much they offer to the community or how many people see them as a safe haven in myriad ways.
They’re places where people can go without having to buy anything, new moms get together with babies and find support when maybe they have none, kids who devour books can happily read for years on end without stopping, and people who need access to the internet can use it, no questions asked – and that’s just a sliver of what librarians and their spaces provide to the public.
If you love heartwarming stories and would like to know more about how integral these spaces are (and why we should keep funding them!) this thread is going to be the highlight of your day.
20. They harbor endless worlds.
Just one of the amazing things to keep coming back for.
19. Such an incredibly touching story.
I’m so glad that he made it, and so sorry his brother is gone.
18. So many people just need somewhere to go.
Feeling safe is never to be underestimated.
17. To be fair, both are big decisions.
Thank goodness for advocates like these.
16. There are no bad apples.
Or if they are, they don’t stick around for long.
15. A warm place and a friendly face.
Some days that can truly make all of the difference.
14. Paying it forward.
May we all be so lucky one day.
13. You never know who needs them the most.
Kids who read are my favorite for so many reasons.
12. Like extended family.
The good kind.
11. Just a little space to breathe.
Books are so calming for so many people.
10. They fill the gaps.
And do their best to avoid the stigma.
9. Where everyone feels welcome.
8. We never forget the best adults.
Many of whom are teachers and librarians.
7. And if he had, they would have forgiven him.
He might have just needed one person to believe in him.
6. They’re watching out for people.
And we can all use that some days.
5. They need to hear the good stories.
The past two years have been rougher on librarians than most.
4. A doorway to actual magic.
And more than one kind, at that.
3. They literally save lives.
Not all heroes wear capes.
2. A life-changing moment.
And I guarantee you this isn’t the only one.
1. What I hope any of us would do.
No questions asked.
It’s really pretty eye-opening, don’t you think?
Let us know in the comments what the public library has meant to you!