When I visited Germany and Poland, I was SHOCKED at how many swastikas I saw spray-painted on the walls of buildings. It was a very eye-opening experience to see hateful symbols painted in seemingly normal and pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods.
One street artist in Berlin is fighting back in his own unique way. Ibo Omari of Die kulturellen Erben e.V. takes hate graffiti and turns it into friendly art that everyone can enjoy. Others have joined in as well to cover up these disgusting pieces.
And, obviously, the most important part is that he’s erasing symbols of hate. Take a look at these brilliant works of art.
1. I love this idea and I hope it spreads everywhere!
2. A swastika no longer. Bravo!
3. From a symbol of hate into a beautiful flower.
4. That’s more like it.
5. #Paintback is the hashtag for this important work.
6. Rubik’s Cube for the win!
7. Walk like an Egyptian. Much better, yes?
8. Before and after. I like the looks of this.
9. See what they did there? Brilliant.
10. Let’s take a look at an artist in action.
View this post on Instagram
Badass sprays over swastikas ???☮ . . . .@Regrann from @srfnews – Hakenkreuze lassen sich an einigen Häuserfassaden finden: Diese Aktion verwandelt sie in Kunst. ^ls .#graffiti #berlin #art #paintback #hauptstadtkunst #weniger #hass #mehr #humor #und #liebe – #urbanart #throwup #getupstayup #fuckhate #swastika #art #artistofinstagram #design #drawing #spraypaint #mural
Here’s some more video of the artists covering up the graffiti.
This is what I like to see! Fighting hate with art!
Which one of these do you like the best? Let us know in the comments!